How can we improve WooThemes?

Subscription: Free trail without cc needed; ask for creditcard/paypal when free trail ends, not upfront

I'm using WooCommerce and Subscriptions to sell access to premium content. Currently its configured with a 30-day free trial. So users sign up, enter their credit card, and as long as they don't cancel before the end of the trial, we ping them.

I'd like to move the credit card entry to the end of the free trial. In other words, people would sign up, have access for 30 days, then have to enter their card to continue getting access. Is this an easy thing to do in WooCommerce, or do I need to do some work outside of WooCommerce on membership/reg? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. (kudos to tragicallyhip, see http://wordpress.org/support/topic/virtual-subscription-trials-credit-card-at-trial-end?replies=3

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Keesjan DeelstraKeesjan Deelstra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

4 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael FlorezMichael Florez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really really want a solution for this. Our promo model relies on people subscribing and trying out our service. And from market research we know that the no1 obstacle to signing up is giving out credit cards details, especially for older market segments.
        So not requiring a credit card no until the end of the trial is essential.
        Thanks,
        Has anyone achieved this?

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would be a wise optional setting. Especially when a new subscription service is in market testing phase, it makes sense to just see if people would be even willing to sign up. At least then you can collect an email address and attempt to market to the non-converted users down the road.

I give this a major feature request bump.

• Alasdair PageAlasdair Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're also looking for this same functionality. Until it's in core I'd be interested to know if anybody has successfully customised WooCommerce Subscriptions to achieve this please.

• EmpyrealEmpyreal commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes I can see where your going with this, but as I see it. The reason for taking the card details upfront is because most users have lost their initial enthusiasm for the product 4 weeks down the line, so would not enter the card details to subscribe.

On the flip side if it was simply a numbers game, yes you would have lots more take the trial if they didn't feel pressurised into giving their card details.

Feedback and Knowledge Base