How can we improve WooThemes?

Add Rich Snippet support

Testing my site - using Whitelight - in Google Web Master tools shows the theme does not support Rich Snippets (https://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=99170). I can't comment on other themes as I haven't checked, but I'll assume for now they're the same - it would be a big help if you could add support for Rich Snippets to your themes.

These can help with search engine parsing, and allow (for example) Google to display authorship information next to search results. Anther example would be allowing Google to parse and display event information directly in search results - great for themes such as Unsigned and Backstage.

If you go with the MicroFormats method then generally it's just a case of adding some class names, though in some cases a few minor HTML changes might be needed.

I'm going to spend the weekend adding Rich Snippets to my website, but this then makes it harder for me to update the theme if need be - so it'd be great if this support was "native". :)

55 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ChrisChris shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JackJack commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please!! This would be very useful and I'm surprised this hasn't already been done given the importance Google places on these now.

• Frank SwiftFrank Swift commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Been researching this as well, and the errors that keep at least the Canvas theme from being compliant are:

Error: Missing required field "entry-title".
        Error: Missing required field "updated".

As indicated earlier it looks like only CSS class additions are needed to resolve these errors and benefit from the full SEO effects of rich snippets.

• GeorgeGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please add rich snippet using shortcodes. its very easy to add the right code but the problem is that the tinymce editor strips out certain text from the code. i have tried multiple editors and they all have the same problem. all you need is a simple shortcode to prevent the html from being stripped.

Feedback and Knowledge Base