How can we improve WooThemes?

Adaptive Images for Canvas

Canvas needs to address how it handles images on the site. Simply assigning img {max-width: 100%;} in the CSS does nothing to address image file sizes served to mobile devices. Right now in Canvas, no matter what the device, the same file size image is served for all. This makes Canvas (and all the other WooThemes that are responsive) less attractive as a responsive template theme as one will need to implement their own adaptive image technique to address the image file size issue on mobile devices. Please consider for the next version of Canvas picking an adaptive image technique <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al0lI17fOl9DdDgxTFVoRzFpV3VCdHk2NTBmdVI2OXc#gid=0> and implement it in Canvas a CSS/HTML standard is worked out.

114 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Frank McClungFrank McClung shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Brett BlevinsBrett Blevins commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a plugin solves this problem, that's the smart way to go until WordPress core solves the problem. I agree with WooThemes that putting the kitchen sink into a theme is the wrong approach, despite what might be happening on Themeforest. It's also a support nightmare, as WooThemes discovered and many buyers on Themeforest have discovered - or will discover. The Hammy plugin looks like it solves the problem in a smart way, and it's theme-agnostic. Why would anyone want to do it any other way?

• Frank McClungFrank McClung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That's sad Ryan. This is one of the reasons I feel like Canvas is losing ground in terms of capability to similar themes like AVADA (on ThemeForrest). Avada already incorporates adaptive image practices and capabilities into the theme back end so you can upload the images at different sizes for Retina displays. There have been many times that Woo has tackled tricky problems (menu organization within the WP backend for example) and come out of it smelling like roses. This would be a good candidate especially if competing themes are already offering that capability.

Feedback and Knowledge Base