How can we improve WooThemes?

Establish a woowiki. Centralise the info scattered thru forums and how to - into evolving wiki

147 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    miraclefishmiraclefish shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Craig GrellaCraig Grella commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree on this totally. Wordpress' codex is fantastic. Other developers have used similar wikis for products and code snippets. Filling out the woo codex will be really helpful. I'd particularly like to see more info on implementing hooks,filter, actions, etc. Not just the names of them in the codex like there is now.

• Chirag VoraChirag Vora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nice idea. There is really need of one stop repository for complete, reliable and upto date Woo documentation.

• Frank McClungFrank McClung commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

See the comments I've made above on content to include. The old forums contain a ton of info and snippets that need to be accessible. The knowledge base just isn't going to cut it. Just today I had a Canvas issue where the menu is going under the slider on the homepage. I know that this question has been addressed in the forums a while back, but since we can't access it, I can't get a quick answer. I'm left with the horrible user voice. So key to the Wiki would be to start by mining and organizing the Canvas info already in the forums.

• KiwimanaKiwimana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sounds like a great idea, it sucks that the forum is members only? Not keen to spend a hundred dollars on joining to discover we can't make it work for us. The time you need the most help is when you building a site, why should that cost money.

So I vote for a Wiki site as well...

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm excited to see this. MediaTemple's community wiki has been very helpful to me when dealing with hosting-related issue and I expect that the same will be true with this project when it comes to working with your themes.

• DeepTitanicDeepTitanic commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like many of your users am completely energised by the WordPress and Woo Themes killer combo ...

Wouldn't it be cool if when ever I solve an Issue I had a space to write up my experience into a tutorial?

I would hope that others would do the same and build it up into a library.

I imagine If every member of Woo Themes wrote 1 article each on a solution to problem they had it would be a lot better then trawling through the forums!

• muzzamuzza commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to see this as a plugin, would only require 10 - 50 pages for my a few client sites.

• DrewAPictureDrewAPicture commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, I actually am looking at building a wiki for a client in the near future as well. Can you guys provide any kind of update for the forthcoming wiki theme?

• Kaitlin ReevesKaitlin Reeves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a projected date that this theme will be launched? I'm needing to do a Wiki for a client and if it's going to be out in the next couple months I can hold off and spare myself having to deal with MediaWiki ; )

• Mark BaileyMark Bailey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At our company we're taking a long look at Zendesk as a helpdesk/wiki/forum solution. At first we didn't like the way it merges knowledgebase-style articles and discussions, but we're really starting to appreciate the value of it. You can still have separate discussion forums and article sections, but one search spans everything. And, you can open articles up for discussion, allowing more forum-style interaction that's part of the big, searchable knowledge repository.

Of course, there are other alternatives that take similar approaches.

Hope this helps.

I'll just use Canvas as an example theme as it's the one I use most:

- More detailed explanation of theme changes by line item and purpose
        - Code snippets to common Canvas tweaks
        - Case studies for customization of Canvas
        - Picking through the forum questions/responses and adding useful bits of customization knowledge

I've thought about doing this myself for Canvas users alone. Would be huge as there are so many custom nuggets in the forums but going through all the posts to find them (even with search) is a pain.

Feedback and Knowledge Base