How can we improve Sensei by WooThemes?

Students Upload Work

Students to be able to do physical work, catalogue it by taking photos and then upload their photos as part of the submission of their work.

157 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SamboSambo shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: ESSENTIAL FEATURE: File upload for lesson (or course level) assignments/examples.  ·   · 

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Scott GriffithsScott Griffiths commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is so definitely a required feature. Any idea when we can expect this to be released as the whole system seems somewhat empty without it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

" think the main issue is security. " this not a main issue for my current employer - a large online university, Classmates taking the work of others does happen, but is rare. While in class they are too busy to steal. After they graduate and look for work a few do tend to surf online for stuff, they don't backtrack to old classes.
        In class I use http://www.tineye.com/ to check on image plagarism...

• EniEni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the main issue is security. While there are many ways to hack around this deficiency, there still isn't anything that protects the student's work. Something that would protect the student work and give them peace of mind that other students aren't going to easily share their images on pinterest.

Good move, a bit late for me...
        I'll suggest you look at OpenClass... for a format. Its simple ability to have students upload work in a thread (and find it in the gradebook) is much better for creating student conversations about that work. (so much so that very few faculty at my online school use the dropbox)

• EthanEthan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really the only reason I'm still debating between Sensei and other LMSs. I teach students English online and it pretty well requires that they can upload things.

• Simon IvesSimon Ives commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that this isn't included already. Absolutely essential for our nationally accredited programs.

• BrandonBrandon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is desperately needed, when uploaded a teacher should be able to highlight or annotate it if its a pdf or doc or ppt without using an external service and also be able to comment with the student on it and discuss things. There should be like a pdf preview, then a sidebar with the grade input at the top, or like a quick rubric scoring system like how turnitin.com does it and be able to comment to the student and such and the student to be able to comment back. This is a necessity! Moodle does it, Turnitin does it, Blackboard does this, they all can highlight and comment with the student and annotate, why can't Sensei?

• Simon IvesSimon Ives commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Completely agree.

We've had to hack in the ability for students to upload files for a number of our courses.

Some example situations:

We have an accredited upgrade course whereby students already possessing a certification are upgrading to the newer version of the certification. We require a copy of the prior certificate as part of the assessment process. Whilst this can be done elsewhere this disrupts the workflow of the course.

We have an accredited learning program that requires students to participate in a given activity for a minimum of sixty minutes (not necessarily all at once). We would like to have our elearning students record their participation in the activity via video and upload it within the course. We get around this by having the students uploading their video to YouTube but we would like to keep a copy of the file for compliance purposes and we would like to provide the student with the ability to provide the video to us without the use of a (public) third party.

We have hundreds of other examples but I think it's fairly obvious that this would be a useful feature.

This is a required feature for me as well - and I support the other comments made so far.

I teach for the Art Institute Online and run a couple Special Topics courses on Game Design and Virtual Worlds (outside of the Pearson eCollege system for normal classes).

Students need to upload their assignments - and I and the students need to make comments.
        For me we do ongoing projects - so there's an added desire not just to upload files and grade, but be able to follow students project development. Most systems let me look week by week at all students.

What is not mentioned here and is TRULY missing from all the software I've explored, is a student centered - community of learners approach. No one is actively letting me leverage and manage the insights and mutual support of my students in these classrooms. There's a couple of ways to do this - it starts with uploading files, tracking individual students - and providing students with a way to track & compare themselves to other students. Had a basic grid set up in Google Docs that almost worked well...

At the moment its unlikely I'll use this or any wordpress system. OpenClass seems best for me at the moment, though Haiku might work. Udemy might work for other classes I offer. Blackboard was obnoxious for a 100% online class

• TobiasTobias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love this as it fits 2000% in with what I will be doing for my students

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too believe that this is a compulsory feature for any LMS! Please, WooThemes, update the plugin with this feature!

• EniEni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ok, you can do it with Gravity forms, but I'm afraid that until sensei has a fully integrated "student upload", it is not going to be taken seriously as an educational platform. This means that uploads must be protected with the same security as the course they belong to, where students can submit privately to a teacher, or allow other students OF THE SAME course to see their work; without prying eyes of outsiders. Having quizzes is nice and all, but multiple choice is hardly the best tool for submitting and evaluating student work.
        Essays, pictures, and other materials are ALWAYS required in a serious educational environment. The ability to manually grade student work is imperative due to the subjective nature of the submissions -- how can the system 'grade' a picture or an essay?
        I would really like to see this feature implemented -- it's pretty much a deal breaker for me as it is now.
        Just my two cents--

• SamboSambo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes but it's then getting long winded. I currently have a course set up and running on Moodle but would love for an all-in-one woo version to replace it

This can be done pretty easily with a form system like gravity forms, and a forum that allows private discussions..

• SamboSambo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The tutor is then able to view the submitted work and mark it with feedback (giving the option to 'pass' and move on to next task, or 'review', enabling the student to have another go)

Feedback and Knowledge Base