How can we improve WooCommerce?

Subscription: Free trail without cc needed; ask for creditcard/paypal when free trail ends, not upfront

I'm using WooCommerce and Subscriptions to sell access to premium content. Currently its configured with a 30-day free trial. So users sign up, enter their credit card, and as long as they don't cancel before the end of the trial, we ping them.

I'd like to move the credit card entry to the end of the free trial. In other words, people would sign up, have access for 30 days, then have to enter their card to continue getting access. Is this an easy thing to do in WooCommerce, or do I need to do some work outside of WooCommerce on membership/reg? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. (kudos to tragicallyhip, see http://wordpress.org/support/topic/virtual-subscription-trials-credit-card-at-trial-end?replies=3

188 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Keesjan DeelstraKeesjan Deelstra shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

28 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ZachZach commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has there been any update to this??? To date, this has cost us potentially 80 sales. As a startup, this would have definitely give us the boost to our business that we need. Seems people are more hesitant to hand over credit card info to a startup in order to have access the free trial. So requiring the credit card on the back end should really help us. Thanks.

-Zach

• Alasdair PageAlasdair Page commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As if we need another reason to require this, I've just looked at using Braintree instead of Stripe for a few reasons: 1. it's pretty much identical in service, 2. the pricing is the same, but 3. they offer $50k/£30k free transactions before they charge, and 4. it integrates PayPal payments at the same time with all the features of Reference Transactions without having to enable it (apparently).

Unfortunately, one of Braintree's requirements for accepting recurring payments is as follows (received via email after signing up):

"Note that we are unable to support the practice of accepting card information prior to providing a user with a free trial. In order to proceed we would need you to remove the free trials completely, or to agree to only accept card information from the customer after the 14 day trial is complete."

@Elliot - I'm going to look into your solution, thank you. It would be great if this were just an on/off option built into core Subscriptions though.

• Sebastien DumontSebastien Dumont commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this would better if a custom registration form would apply the free trail without the need of WooCommerce at all.

So you would have a page where the customer signs up, preferably with a new user role so it's not confusing between your current customers and then apply the amount of days that customer can try your product/service and when the trail is over, send them an email that provides a link to add the product/service to the cart automatically and redirect straight to checkout page where they can fill out their card details and pay.

Once that user has paid, their user role changes to customer.

Could be done as a mini extension. What do you think?

• ElliotElliot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea - I'm tempted to build a custom user registration page and then set a 30day timer to change user_role to trial_over - then I can push everyone with that user_role to a page to checkout for access. Ideally, this would be core.

Anyone from the previous comments want to share how they approached this? Cheers

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great addition to our business! We get tons of complaints about this.

• ToddTodd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a good idea. Many sites allow a free trial with no credit card required. If the product is good, then the customer will obviously make the purchase at the end. This will get more people in to test out the product and potentially convert to more satisfied paying customers.

• James HookerJames Hooker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would it be easier to make a free subscription variable, ability to limit access and at the end offer an upgrade to a paid subscription without an option to renew the free variable? Maybe send the client an email to upgrade.

• Robert SanchezRobert Sanchez commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Has anyone made any progress re Credit Card Free subscription Free Trials using WooCommerce Subscriptions? We need this.

Has anyone made any progress re Credit Card Free subscriptions using WooCommerce Subscriptions?
        We need this.

This will cause us to leave woosubscriptions if we can locate another option that offers it.

• KeithKeith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was surprised to find this wasn't already a feature. Enabling this would drive more potential business to my site, as people are always skeptical to add credit card information for free trials (at least in my experience).

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just wanted to bump this feature request up again. IMHO it should be up to the creator of a website whether they want to put the credit card information before the trial or after the trial. If the customer sees value in the Web offering after the free trial (like Basecamp for example), they will WANT to enter their cc info. The onus should be put on the software itself to create the value, not the "sell" of the software up front. Of course that sell is important, too, but the software should motivate people to want to enter that CC info after the trial.

← Previous 1

WooCommerce: Extension - WooCommerce Subscriptions

Feedback and Knowledge Base