How can we improve WooCommerce?

Subscriptions - Add ability to retry failed credit card subscription rebills like Stripe already does...

I use the Stripe Payment Gateway for subscriptions and love the fact that Stripe attempts to rebill a customer up to 4 times before cancelling their subscription.

Stripe Screenshot: http://www.screencast.com/t/Gi72ROXRQjm

This feature dramatically improves our bottom line - saving customers that are very expensive to acquire and generating tons of revenue that would have been lost.

Sometime people's cards just get full - like around the holidays. When given a few days, often the charge will go through successfully.

Would REALLY love to see this feature integrated either into the Subscriptions or Stripe extension. :-)

221 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jennifer BaritchiJennifer Baritchi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a HUGE Miss. Also the fact that I get no notifications when the payment fails. I just found out my subscriptions haven't charged for 3 months!!!!!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Awesome, glad you guys plan to add this. STRIPE makes it easy and other plugins are doing it. Cheers

• Brent ShepherdBrent Shepherd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

> Looks like this didn't make 2.0 Is there a plan to put it in the next version?

Hi Doug, yes absolutely. It's now officially planned for version 2.1: https://docs.woothemes.com/document/subscriptions/feature-roadmap/ :)

> In the meantime, is there a way to manually retry failed transactions?

Yes there is. Version 2.0 includes a manual retry option for admins now. Use the "Process Renewal" action from the Edit Subscription page: https://docs.woothemes.com/document/subscriptions/add-or-modify-a-subscription/#section-12 (the subscription needs to be active so you will most likely need to reactivate it first)

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just adding my vote for dunning. Only now realised there is no auto or manual retry for billing option!

Having the customer do anything other than reply to my email/phone-call saying "yes I still want to be a subscriber" is to much effort for them.

• Doug MurphyDoug Murphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Looks like this didn't make 2.0 Is there a plan to put it in the next version? In the meantime, is there a way to manually retry failed transactions?

• Ken JohnsonKen Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If anyone is still looking for a solution, get in touch with us at Churn Buster (www.churnbuster.io).

Our team is dedicated to recovering the highest percentage of failed payments possible.

• Michael BroukhimMichael Broukhim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get more insight and more accurate plans for subscriptions and this planned feature? Its unclear whether 2.0 is officially released at this point (roadmap says "will be released Oct. 5") and whether 2.1 is in the works / this feature will be part of it.

• AdamAdam commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a workaround we can use in the meantime??

When we used Stripe exclusively we would run delinquents once every couple days and would recoup almost 50%. Now we are getting 0%. Need help and fast!

• OksanaOksana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Brent.

Just wanted to check in on the status of Version 2.0.

Thanks in advance for the update

Hi folks,

We will add both an automatic retry system and a way for administrators/store managers to click a button to process a renewal (for payment gateways that support it, like Stripe) in version 2.1 of Subscriptions.

I can not provide ETA on 2.1 as we are still working on version 2.0. I'm sorry for the delay but please know we're working as hard and fast as possible on adding these features.

Brent

• JesperJesper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This functionality is crucial for me as well. Had so much trouble with errors at the payment provider gives me losses, because i do not know how/cannot resubmit for payment.

• Dan BaritchiDan Baritchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Brent! Could you give us an update on this? :-)

The roadmap page says Subscriptions 2.0 has been pushed back to 2015 Q1.

Is there a possibility of adding at least the manual and re-billing options discussed in this thread before then? We spend a lot of time every week processing re-bills the long, hard way, so having a button to "re-process billing for this order" would be SO helpful!

Automated re-tries will of course also be VERY helpful, really we need both as soon as feasible.

Thanks!
        Dan

• Dan BaritchiDan Baritchi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Simon, @SKS Yes, for us too it is VERY important to have a "resubmit / retry payment" button in addition to automatically retrying payments as outlined below in this idea.

@Brent could you give us an update on when we can expect to see these 2 functions added?

Thanks!

• SKSSKS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We really need the ability to resubmit payments. Currently in a situation where there was something wrong with woocommerce that did not allow orders to be transferred to merchant. Now it has been corrected, I am unable to resubmit for payment.
        I just lost quite a bit.
        Help!

• Simon WatsonSimon Watson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would love to see the ability for the administrator to try and resubmit payment via the admin area. Or to retry payments a set number of times at a set frequency.

@michael, Subscriptions does have some dunning already in that it will email customers when a payment fails and request they login to complete payment for the renewal. A little more info here: http://docs.woothemes.com/document/subscriptions/renewal-process/#section-6

You can implement more aggressive dunning using an extension like Follow-up Emails to email the customer a few days later, then another week later.

What Subscriptions doesn't do at the moment is automatically retry a payment after it has failed (this used to be left up to the payment gateway when PayPal was the primary gateway, but now that more advanced gateways, like Stripe, are being used more often, it makes sense to add automatic retries to Subscriptions).

You can keep an eye on the roadmap for Subscriptions here: http://docs.woothemes.com/document/subscriptions/feature-roadmap/

As mentioned there, version 2.0 is scheduled for November and this feature is currently slated for a later release, so it's unlikely it will be available in November.

There are ways to achieve something like this at the moment, but they would require custom development. That said, the code required to do it on a single site tailored to your requirements will be *much* easier to create than building a system which works with as almost any payment gateways and is configurable from the administration interface.

← Previous 1

WooCommerce: Category - Payment Gateways

Feedback and Knowledge Base