How can we improve WooCommerce?

Placing a deposit on an order

I think giving the customer an option to pay a deposit on an order would be a handy extension.

E.g the full order is for £2000 give the an customer an option to pay say a 20% deposit to secure the order. They should be able to pay the rest of their order from the my account area or the full payment could be set in the admin as well.

This is not something that will benefit small shops (e.g selling items of clothing) but I think it could benefit (myself included) larger companies doing bigger sales that may have a long lead time on their products or companies offering a payment on delivery option but need some form of security from the customer.

From an implementation point of view perhaps set a default deposit amount in the settings but this could be changed per product if ness?

Thanks
Sam

197 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sam JonesSam Jones shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    SeanSean shared a merged idea: Allow Deposits to be taken for Products in WooCommerce  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: The option to take deposits for villa rentals  ·   · 
    MattiaMattia shared a merged idea: Partial prepayment (pay now x% and later the other %)  ·   · 

25 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • TamsinTamsin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on a release date for this? I am in desperate need of it - to be honest I cant believe it's not a basic function of a bookings extension and I really don't want to have to purchase another plugin if this is coming out soon

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My shop definitely needs this! We sell expensive boutique electronic musical instruments and often people want to pre-order incoming items without paying the entire amount.....so being able to charge a percentage as a down-payment would rule!

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello Patrick, I am in need of this functionality and am going to pay a developer to implement it but I would much rather wait for an official WooThemes solution if it's going to be out soon. Have you made any significant progress since the update on March 9th?

Hi Patrick, just a thought for consideration on this now you've started work on it: I would like to use such a plugin to sell courses and trips that occur on a specific date, hence there is a fixed deadline for each product on when full payment must be made (approx a month before the course start). This would mean someone booking early can pay a deposit to confirm the booking, ideally a second intermediate payment and the remaining balance just before the course start date, but a person who books with only a week to go would have to pay the entire balance in one go. I'd really appreciate if you took a reversed deadline system such as this into account during development.

Will this have a layby or installment payment option? If not, is there a layby extension available already? Thanks,

• AmberAmber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great to see this is a project that's now being developed from the Woo Team.

Please look into adding a way that admins can add deposit products to orders which users can then view (via "My Account) and choose pay either the full or deposit price.

Having that type of admin control added would put this project above the existing Woo Deposit solutions.

• jimjim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would use this plugin. we do custom work and would like an easy way to take deposits. I think any small business that does custom work would be interested in this. Most credit card companies want you to take a deposit if you have long lead times on custom work.

• VassilisVassilis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello,

this is a deal breaker for when implementing hotel reservation. We need to be able to allow customers arrange a booking, and paying i.e. 20% of the total price, as a depposit and the rest payable on show.

Are there any news on when this is going to be available?
        We are into preparing and upgrading travel websites for next season, using other reservation solutions....

Thanks

• Michael SamsonMichael Samson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm really glad to see you're moving forward with this extension Patrick. You and I already talked, so I won't repeat everything. Definitely study the "other" existing deposits plugin I mentioned, as they have figured out many of the necessary features and functions integral to accepting deposits. One key thing I will mention is the need for such an extension to be fully compatible with Woo Subscriptions, at least at a basic level so the two extensions can co-exist on the same website. This way stores can continue to use the "mixed cart" feature of subscriptions and accept deposits on non-subscription products. There are many things to consider when building this out, so you have your work cut out for you. But I'm sure in the end this will be a great extension with the typical WooCommerce attention to detail and compatibility.

~ Michael

• Linda Sherman GordonLinda Sherman Gordon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WPMU Appointments+ does take deposits. "Deposits can be selected as percentage or as fixed amounts." I still like Woo Bookings way better so hoping, hoping, hoping we can get deposits SOON!

• hawahawa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear Matthew,

I like this plugin. Can you easily change to Dutch language ? In which file (+ location) should I make the changes?

• Michael PiercyMichael Piercy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this feature Really needs to be incorporated in to the booking plugin. Booking with a deposit payment is the online norm. Especially when it comes to booking time and human resources.

I'd +100 if I could!

Hopefully WooCommerce hear us and agree.

• Matthew BlackfordMatthew Blackford commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hey Sam, our new Lime Deposits plugin for WooCommerce handles most of what you're talking about. It supports fixed amounts and percentages, as well as individual product overrides. We're working on the "Full Payment" feature at the moment and hope to release an update shortly.

http://www.limeplugins.com/woocommerce-deposit-plugin/

Check it out and let me know if it works for you.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base