How can we improve WooCommerce?

Offer payment option “invoice”

For many transactions, especially in the B2B segment, instant payment via PayPal etc. is not a viable option, so any e-commerce solution targeted at B2B transactions needs an option to process payments via invoice.

If this could be added to WooCommerce, we could finally leave Magento behind (which is much too complicated) and use WooCommerce on our projects.

The invoice does *not* have to be generated by WooCommerce, it would be perfectly sufficient if the buyer received a confirmation e-mail stating the amount, and then the invoice will be manually created by bookkeeping, sent to the client, and after payment is received, the transaction can be marked complete manually.

73 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MathiasMathias shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    declined  ·  Mike JolleyAdminMike Jolley (Admin, WooThemes) responded  · 

This isn’t needed. Either BACS or CHEQUE can both be renamed in settings (they are the same thing essentially). Just change the title to ‘Invoice’ and your done. No coding required.

18 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would be interested in this option as well, and I'd like it to only be visible in a "wholesale" section of my site. I wonder if any of these comments were read after this was set as "declined".

• Kyle RumbleKyle Rumble commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How would you change the cheque message on the thank you page?

I need to change this message "A final invoice will be emailed to you for approval....."

I searched all the flies and no luck. I'm guessing it's somewhere in the database?

How would I filter this message?

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, just wanted to inform that I found an WooCommerce plugin that got the Manual Invoice Payment Gateway combined with printing out Invoice and Delivery Note and also personal security option in the Payment Gateway. You also have much more options to design your template that not renaming the above things mentioned...

You can find it at http://www.stormtribemarket.com

For those with no skils to edit and want something more proffessional is this a really great one!

• RobertRobert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hello, just wanted to inform that I found an WooCommerce plugin that got the Manual Invoice Payment Gateway combined with printing out Invoice and Delivery Note and also personal security option in the Payment Gateway. You also have much more options to design your template that not renaming the above things mentioned...

You can find it at <a href="http://www.stormtribemarket.com">www.stormtribemarket.com</a>

For those with no skils to edit and want something more profesional is this a really great one!

• Kris StarkKris Stark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In fact, this IS needed, but with a twist. An ACCOUNT payment type should not be made visible to users who do not in fact have a pre-existing account.

In other words, I should have the option to place users into a group that has the ability to use a payment option that is worded as an invoice, and have those users be the only ones who actually see that payment option as a choice. If everybody is shown that payment option, then the very real possibility is that unverified and non-approved customers will make use of the option, which becomes a management nightmare...

That is NOT the same. if someone "Invoice"s a payment, they have an account balance. If you change CHEQUE to Invoice, it shows a $0 account balance. Not only do you need an option that says Invoice, but you need all the functionality that goes with the option.

Hi guys, its not up on the wordpress.org repo yet but here's a quick n' dirty plugin that does this (since I also needed it and couldn't find anyone who've done it yet).

https://github.com/davidpaulsson/WooCommerce-Invoice-Payment-Gateway

It's basically the cheque option, only rebranded. Feel free to clone push merge do all those fancy git stuff whatnot and improve it if needed. Thanks.

• EinarEinar commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed. Add a invoice option, this is very important for b2b companies. Email me when its done and I will buy it right away.

• karlskikarlski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Multi tier pricing would be great to add into the mix too. Once preapproved customers log in, it would be awesome to have the price reflect a different price level.

You could then offer the invoice payment option after admin approves them as a 'trade' customer.
        This method would give us the flexibility to run B2B and retail sales from the same site.

Woo even has quickbook sync's .. but only inventory, I can't sync my house accounts. Seems like there should be something out there. I changed the COD to a bill account .. but I'd like my customers to be able to PAY their accounts through Woo too ... maybe I should start a new post.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is relatively simple. Use the Cash on Delivery and Change it to On Account, add your terms, customers buy, and you send an invoice. We currently do this for a commercial B2B medical device supplier site and it works flawlessly. We also have an additional payment gateway if a customer chooses to pay now with a credit card. Hope this helps.

• Nathan CorbierNathan Corbier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I already send invoices out through woocommerce, but have clients use "pay with check," as that's how they'll be paying their invoices. This sounds, really, like a rebadge/rewording of the pay by cheque option.

• rebecahrebecah commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree and would love to see this functionality added. I have a client with customers that are billed monthly. If there was an invoice option or "hack" for this, I would greatly appreciate it as would my client...

• MathiasMathias commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Addendum: Payment by invoice is also the only option available when selling items that are more expensive than a typical daily credit card limit: If something (say, a seminar) costs €3000, and the buyer’s CC limit is set to €2000, he cannot complete the transaction. Additionally, in B2B the person who buys a product is, most of the time, not the one who’s paying for it (or there is no credit card), so WooCommerce cannot be used (right now) to sell those kinds of products.

Feedback and Knowledge Base