How can we improve WooCommerce?

Registration / Login page should be more like on a conventional ecommerce platform

Right now you can only login/register under the My account page. It is clearer for the potential buyer to see two simple Login/Register links in the top right corner for example that takes him to the appropriate form. Also, the username field should be replaced by email for the login/register forms. People tend to forget usernames, but not so much with emails. This is the only caveat that keeps me from using woocommerce and I'm probably not the only one.

48 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    AlexAlex shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are a wholesale website. Is there any way to stop automatic login when the possible client fills in their email address on the My Account Page. We want to be able to Confirm or Deny Access to prospective customers

• ColinColin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had numerous complaints about registration. Customers forget their username and would prefer their email address to be their username? Does anyone know how to change the fields so that customers HAVE to use their email address as their username?

• Chirag VoraChirag Vora commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi everyone, I implemented this in one of my project, hope it helps you.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/menu-items-visibility-control/

This is all you need :)

You can use function :" is_user_logged_in() " to show/hide a menu item

You can have 2 menu items towards right on top navigation bar. Both linked to the my account page. One of them named as login/register and other as my account. Now using the above mentioned plugin you can hide/unhide these two depending on whether user is logged in or not... :)

I have put a brief tutorial on this here: http://bigkahuna.in/conventional-login-register-logout-woocommerce

• Jeff GodekJeff Godek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should really be one in Woocommerce. Usability best prctice is a Login/regster menu items.
        My Account should only appear after a login occurs. Im goin to attempt this with CSS and see if that works.

After discovering that the primary menu is actually called primary-menu in code, this works perfectly:

add_filter( 'wp_nav_menu_items', 'add_loginout_link', 10, 2 );

function add_loginout_link( $items, $args ) {

if (is_user_logged_in() && $args->theme_location == 'primary-menu') {
        $items .= '<li><a href="'. wp_logout_url( get_permalink( woocommerce_get_page_id( 'myaccount' ) ) ) .'">Logout</a></li>';
        }
        elseif (!is_user_logged_in() && $args->theme_location == 'primary-menu') {
        $items .= '<li><a href="' . get_permalink( woocommerce_get_page_id( 'myaccount' ) ) . '">Login/Sign Up</a></li>';
        }

return $items;

}

• JacintaJacinta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea, I'm stuck with the who customer log in side of things as when i added the [woocommerce_my_account] shortcode and do a test login it keeps going back to the home page.

• AnnaWebAnnaWeb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, do you know how to add another required field in the woo commerce registration form?
        The default fields are: Username - Email and password. Where is the page where I can add new required field, like for example Phone? Thank you so much. AnnaWeb

This is really annoying and requires customization to be used. It would be awesome if you could address that issue. Thanks!

• AlexAlex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the reply, Patrick. It's great to get an opinion from someone who actually contributed to woocommerce. This is a rather good alternative, but the problem with the username instead of email is still there. Any way I can work this out? Thank you.

Feedback and Knowledge Base