Photography Store Extension for Woocommerce
Photography products need a more efficient way to be added, configured, and displayed.
1. Bulk image product uploader similar to flickr - Uploads and creates electronic products with preset attributes.
2. Selectable product type, "photography" just like simple, variable, etc. that activates the appropriate tabs and functionality required for a photography store
3. Product based on size, or bulk purchase amount.
4. Automatic watermarking for featured image if photography product type is selected. Check out the Image Store Plugin
5. Connection to print companies like mpix.com for print and frame options.
6. Lightbox layout with checkboxes to quickly select images. Great for portrait photography or wedding photography. In my case it would be good for Real Estate Photography selections and options for Realtors so I can upsell.
7. Private viewing and selection gallery for non-public images, i.e. weddings, Real Estate.
Hope this gives you some great ideas.
A woothemes Photo Cart child theme for photographers like Smug Mug or Proof Press. It seems like wooCommerce would be ideal at dealing with this.
We’ve released our WooCommerce Photography extension, along with some really useful information and a fun competition!
For more information, see our Photography landing page, here: http://www.woothemes.com/photography/
Thanks and regards,
Chief Product Officer at WooThemes
We have an Amazon S3 extension for WooCommerce already, which can handle that aspect. There is no need to bundle that functionality into the Photography extension when it already exists. :)
NOTE TO SELF: Don't waste time waiting for a promising solution...
I must admit that the information provided on the salespage and the points adressed by RHVS below tells me that it's far from what I hoped for in a photography solution based on WooCommerce. External storage for the high-res versions and secure linking/download with for example Amazon S3 is essential for a site that want to grow beyond a few customers without bogging down your server and hosting resources. A max image size of 2 MB may be good enough in most cases, but is very limiting for a site selling images, as the file sizes often can exeed this limit by far without, in many cases, a too harsh compression. More and more cameras deliver higher and higher resolution and increased bit depth. In my daily working situation, keeping the file sizes small enough may in many cases be an extra hazzle. Also, many cutomers demand file sizes for high-res images to be more than 4 MB. Is this solution only suited for the JPEG file format? What about images that contains an extra alpha channel, like tiff or png?
And no digital download? I would have expected far more from Woo.
It's also very disappointing to see that they have used t-shirt images on their salespage for demonstrating the Photography Extension(!!?). This is an extension for photography images, and not for a Teespring lookalike shop. The whole internet is full of public domain and cheap stock images, so why use t-shirt images? Where's your passion for the photographers, Woo??
Sorry for expressing my opinions like this here, but I think I'll have to wait for the next major upgrade before giving this a second view. The very loooong development time spent on this and the quality you put into your other products considered, I would have expected far more...
@RHVS - thanks for that
Yes digital downloads is completely missing just realized that too...
Original photos can be accessed? OMG....
they told me the digital download option will be in a 1.1 update...let's hope this is not going to take another 3 years...
To be honnest I am quite disappointed by this extension after a nearly three year wait. I expected this extension to be THE professional photographers choice but it is nowhere close to it.... :-(
Just purchased the extension, and although it works really simple, before I'll put 15000 images in the shop there is some work to do!
1. No option for digital download? In 2015 nobody wants to wait for their digital image purchase is processed by the shop owner.
2. Original photo's can still be directly accessed (uploaded as regular media). That's not even a little bit secure...
3. If you set the thumbnail size at 200x200, the thumbnail portrait photo's are 200 wide but the limit should be 200 high!
4. Image quality should be customisable for thumbnails and lightbox size (not a big deal, but it would improve the speed of the page.
5. Deleting an album should also result in deleting the image from the media library.
6. The image file number must be on the invoice/checkout page, instead of a new file number (or at least have the choice to do this).
I don't see the end of the tunnel yet :(
Would be great to sign up for a notification email for this plugin, so I can be notified directly in my mailbox. I have checked this page so many times with no or scarce update info...
Mohammed Bidiwala commented
I would appreciate the date too. If its launching this month then that would be appreciated as waited since a long time.
Same here in the process of developing a photography website and from the sounds of it WooCommerce Photography is ready soon... I would really appreciate a date of when this extension is ready to take a decision on waiting or go with another extension. I have been looking at this thread for months now and heard too many times that it will be ready soon...
Can you specify the date please.
Tyler Collins Photography commented
I'm just in the process of building my photography site as well... When you say next few week can you be more specific as I'd hold off and wait for this to be released.
Even if you could give some features of the addon that would be great!
Keep an eye out in the next few weeks, as we kick off 2015. :)
Sounds perfect Matty! We have arrived in "the new year" so where is the download link ;-)
Thanks for your feedback on this.
WooCommerce Photography can be used for publicly accessible collections as well, and can be tailored to add various product customisation options (frames, sizes, etc) using our Product Add-ons extension.
I look forward to your feedback once our extension is released in the new year. :)
Thanks and regards,
From your comment below it seems this plugin is for event or portrait photographers.
How about for art prints as others have mentioned?
The ability to set price according to print size once without having to edit a size variation at the product level.
Then the ability for a customer to add framing and matting options priced according to size.
You'd be missing a huge market of arts and crafts folks wanting to set up their own store with a smooth process.
Think of how many folks are selling on Etsy vs portrait and wedding photographers. Many clients of photographers are just demanding their images delivered as files.
As an artist specializing in prints and carving my way with WooCommerce I can tell you it's a hassle with a huge opportunity for fixing.
Looking forward to testing this extension… it's been quite a wait...
CHERIE SIEBERT commented
Since Apple has bailed on Aperture and has no concrete replacement, I've switched to Lightroom 5 - a platform that many other pro photographers already utilize. The ability to utilize the very comprehensive "Web" feature in Lightroom to upload galleries directly to a site using Woocommerce would be a real asset. The current disconnect is a big problem. I'd love to see a solution.
Thanks for your query. :)
We're hard at work putting the finishing polish on our Photography extension, which we've spent several months developing.
The solution is aimed at photographers wishing to create and offer collections of photographs for sale, either in a public (anyone can purchase) or restricted (only specific clients can purchase) manner.
Our focus has been on making the image uploading process really intuitive and easy to use, as well as ensuring the sales process is smooth for the client.
We look forward to everyone's feedback. :)
Thanks and regards,
Chief Product Officer at WooThemes
The WooCommerce plattform is the very reason I do wait for this solution. All the alternative solutions I have found is very limiting in some way or the other, or it isn't friendly towards third party extensions.
I mainly need a good system for selling digital images/media files.
1. Various price groups based on size and usage terms.
2. API for third party integration (for selling prints from different suppliers).
3. Secure storage integration for Amazon S3, Google Disk or DropBox, so that the media files can be automatically uploaded and stored externally on import, where a preview image is stored locally for use in the store and on site.
4. Option for automatic watermarking of preview image.
5. Preview image is available for use everywhere on site (including insertion into blog posts) where it's automatically linked to the image in the store, even when viewed in a Lightbox/player (a custom Lightbox plugin/module may be needed to do this, otherwise the image is directly linked to store item). The preview is automativcally generated for oll kinds of media files. This would be a very useful feature that opens up a wide range of possible ways to promote sales of your images. It's when a visitor see the image they may want to purchase. I haven't found any other solution with this feature.
6. Responsive behaviour for shop listings and preview image when viewed on site or in Lightbox.
7. Contracts (terms) in cart based on usage rights (agree on purchase). Some images may, or may not be released for commercial use (model release), some images may be purchased for web use, some for editorial and some personal use. When in cart, you will see your image listed with option for size, and for use. When delivered (downloaded), your images is accompanied with a generated text file with the terms for each contract type with the purchased file names (image numbers) automatically listed.
8. When logged in, the user can see the images they have purchased and re-download them if needed. Possible to upgrade license/size for purchased image and pay only the difference.
9. A good interface that allows easy management of images, bulk uploading, easy editing of image data, and automatic import of image Exif data, gallery and category structure editing.
10. A commission system for hosting/selling other peoples digital files, where they have their own login and admin area for their files. Commissions is automatically generated for sales based on a percentage and/or a flat fee. For instance, a percentage for sales of all files and a flat fee added if the site owner uploads their files, and without that fee if they upload and manage their own files themselves.
11. Allow pricing/price groups to differ based on customers geographic location. This is especially important for counties that require VAT, i.e the new 2015 EU Vat rules that applies even to sellers outside the EU and based on other countries vat rules. It may already be available as a Woo extension but I thought that it was important to mention. It could also be a nice feature to have if you want to apply competitive pricing for different geographic regions.
WooCommerce is already the best and most flexible WordPress based system for selling, with numerous additional extensions and features, including various rebate systems and affiliate integration/selling.
A photography extension shouldn't exclusively be for photography, but for all kinds of media files. This will significantly broaden the market reach and be valuable solution for all kinds of designers, photographers, movie makers and audio producers. A digital contract system, as described above, will make it highly versatile and valuable for everyone selling digital files. The big benefit of selling your own media files online is that you keep 100% commissions, and if you're good at marketing can even compete with bigger stock sites. With an affiliate solution (already exists) you can reach even further in the market.
Never before has more people had a camera and/or made more digital media files, wether it's an image, movie clip, illustration, movie file, audio file or eBook. If you make an integration as I have listed above, Woo could have a highly sellable solution that will be unrivaled in the market. My sincere hope is that WooCommerce will see the extreme potential of such a solution and assign more resources to get this solution developed and available to the market.
I would rather pay top money on a good solution than invest any time on a limited proprietary one.
Please Woo, please... :)
Sebastien Dumont commented
With the details given above, I see possibly 4 extensions. It might be easier to break down it's features and start with just the basics first.
1. List products as a photo with variations like size, print type, framed.
2. Add support to the import / export plugin.
3. Photo Gallery
4. Third party integration support
Quote; Matty: -"We'll be sure to keep everyone updated as to the project's progress, and look forward to sharing the results with everyone."
It's over a year since this product got started, and four quiet months since this promise to keep us updated...
How is it? No update, no progress..?