Photography Store Extension for Woocommerce
Photography products need a more efficient way to be added, configured, and displayed.
1. Bulk image product uploader similar to flickr - Uploads and creates electronic products with preset attributes.
2. Selectable product type, "photography" just like simple, variable, etc. that activates the appropriate tabs and functionality required for a photography store
3. Product based on size, or bulk purchase amount.
4. Automatic watermarking for featured image if photography product type is selected. Check out the Image Store Plugin
5. Connection to print companies like mpix.com for print and frame options.
6. Lightbox layout with checkboxes to quickly select images. Great for portrait photography or wedding photography. In my case it would be good for Real Estate Photography selections and options for Realtors so I can upsell.
7. Private viewing and selection gallery for non-public images, i.e. weddings, Real Estate.
Hope this gives you some great ideas.
A woothemes Photo Cart child theme for photographers like Smug Mug or Proof Press. It seems like wooCommerce would be ideal at dealing with this.
Looking forward to testing this extension… it's been quite a wait...
CHERIE SIEBERT commented
Since Apple has bailed on Aperture and has no concrete replacement, I've switched to Lightroom 5 - a platform that many other pro photographers already utilize. The ability to utilize the very comprehensive "Web" feature in Lightroom to upload galleries directly to a site using Woocommerce would be a real asset. The current disconnect is a big problem. I'd love to see a solution.
Thanks for your query. :)
We're hard at work putting the finishing polish on our Photography extension, which we've spent several months developing.
The solution is aimed at photographers wishing to create and offer collections of photographs for sale, either in a public (anyone can purchase) or restricted (only specific clients can purchase) manner.
Our focus has been on making the image uploading process really intuitive and easy to use, as well as ensuring the sales process is smooth for the client.
We look forward to everyone's feedback. :)
Thanks and regards,
Chief Product Officer at WooThemes
The WooCommerce plattform is the very reason I do wait for this solution. All the alternative solutions I have found is very limiting in some way or the other, or it isn't friendly towards third party extensions.
I mainly need a good system for selling digital images/media files.
1. Various price groups based on size and usage terms.
2. API for third party integration (for selling prints from different suppliers).
3. Secure storage integration for Amazon S3, Google Disk or DropBox, so that the media files can be automatically uploaded and stored externally on import, where a preview image is stored locally for use in the store and on site.
4. Option for automatic watermarking of preview image.
5. Preview image is available for use everywhere on site (including insertion into blog posts) where it's automatically linked to the image in the store, even when viewed in a Lightbox/player (a custom Lightbox plugin/module may be needed to do this, otherwise the image is directly linked to store item). The preview is automativcally generated for oll kinds of media files. This would be a very useful feature that opens up a wide range of possible ways to promote sales of your images. It's when a visitor see the image they may want to purchase. I haven't found any other solution with this feature.
6. Responsive behaviour for shop listings and preview image when viewed on site or in Lightbox.
7. Contracts (terms) in cart based on usage rights (agree on purchase). Some images may, or may not be released for commercial use (model release), some images may be purchased for web use, some for editorial and some personal use. When in cart, you will see your image listed with option for size, and for use. When delivered (downloaded), your images is accompanied with a generated text file with the terms for each contract type with the purchased file names (image numbers) automatically listed.
8. When logged in, the user can see the images they have purchased and re-download them if needed. Possible to upgrade license/size for purchased image and pay only the difference.
9. A good interface that allows easy management of images, bulk uploading, easy editing of image data, and automatic import of image Exif data, gallery and category structure editing.
10. A commission system for hosting/selling other peoples digital files, where they have their own login and admin area for their files. Commissions is automatically generated for sales based on a percentage and/or a flat fee. For instance, a percentage for sales of all files and a flat fee added if the site owner uploads their files, and without that fee if they upload and manage their own files themselves.
11. Allow pricing/price groups to differ based on customers geographic location. This is especially important for counties that require VAT, i.e the new 2015 EU Vat rules that applies even to sellers outside the EU and based on other countries vat rules. It may already be available as a Woo extension but I thought that it was important to mention. It could also be a nice feature to have if you want to apply competitive pricing for different geographic regions.
WooCommerce is already the best and most flexible WordPress based system for selling, with numerous additional extensions and features, including various rebate systems and affiliate integration/selling.
A photography extension shouldn't exclusively be for photography, but for all kinds of media files. This will significantly broaden the market reach and be valuable solution for all kinds of designers, photographers, movie makers and audio producers. A digital contract system, as described above, will make it highly versatile and valuable for everyone selling digital files. The big benefit of selling your own media files online is that you keep 100% commissions, and if you're good at marketing can even compete with bigger stock sites. With an affiliate solution (already exists) you can reach even further in the market.
Never before has more people had a camera and/or made more digital media files, wether it's an image, movie clip, illustration, movie file, audio file or eBook. If you make an integration as I have listed above, Woo could have a highly sellable solution that will be unrivaled in the market. My sincere hope is that WooCommerce will see the extreme potential of such a solution and assign more resources to get this solution developed and available to the market.
I would rather pay top money on a good solution than invest any time on a limited proprietary one.
Please Woo, please... :)
Sebastien Dumont commented
With the details given above, I see possibly 4 extensions. It might be easier to break down it's features and start with just the basics first.
1. List products as a photo with variations like size, print type, framed.
2. Add support to the import / export plugin.
3. Photo Gallery
4. Third party integration support
Quote; Matty: -"We'll be sure to keep everyone updated as to the project's progress, and look forward to sharing the results with everyone."
It's over a year since this product got started, and four quiet months since this promise to keep us updated...
How is it? No update, no progress..?
Adrian Wackernah commented
Is there a beta coming to public? I like to mention, that there are much more kinds of photographers out there as only event photographers. My case is selling prints from my photos and til now I use variations for that. Thats OK in setting up, but editing later is a pain as I do have to edit one by one.
Adrian Wackernah commented
I am looking for a kind of extension like this for a long time. Still waiting. I have now setup my finearts as variable products, but anytime I have to edit prices for variations, I have to call each product one by one. What I like to have is a kind of global attribute with a price like for example: If I sell a print in size of 20x30 inch, it should cost $200. Afterwards if I like to higher or lower that price only for the 20x30 inch attribute, I will change that price and all variations with that attribute will change too. Thats would save me months to years of editing.
Thanks for your query. :)
During our original rounds of development, we reached a point where a second round of customer development was required.
During these talks with photographers, it occurred to us that we were developing too many features to fully satisfy the needs of a professional event photographer.
We have thus gone back to the drawing board on this project and have moved through a new round of customer development talks, followed by our current wireframing and prototyping phase.
We'll be sure to keep everyone updated as to the project's progress, and look forward to sharing the results with everyone. :)
Thanks and regards,
Chief Product Officer at WooThemes
It's status since Oct 28, 2013 has been STARTED.
In http://www.woothemes.com/2013/10/maximize-your-photography/ they say "This extension is estimated to be launched towards the end of Q2 2014. Please stay tuned to our blog for updates as soon as we have them."
Everyone knows that such projects may stumble upon unknown roadblocks and complexities that makes the need for the estimated timeline to be extended. No problem understanding that. From an organisation like Woo, I would have expected at least some feedback to address some of the questions raised. Is it close to release? Is it postponed one month? 'Till next year? Mothballed for eternity? Some feedback shouldn't be too much to ask for...
One of the reasons I'm still waiting for this is that I have investigated all the excisting WordPress based solutions I could find. They all have their clear limitations. The WooCommerce ecosystem on the other hand opens to many new opportunities more fluid and advanced than those other solutions dedicated for photograpy; stock (digital media) and print. The main drawback with all the excisting solutions I have found so far is that they are proprietary and you have to rely on the good faith and goodwill of the the same vendor for every change or addition you need, where the WooCommerce is an entire open ecosystem.
One of the most significant benefits of a better communication from the assigned team is to collect input from various photographers needs and wishes. Since this project is already past it's estimated release date, I would assume that at least something has been done with the Extension up until this point.
Please give us some feedback and interact with us, Woo. ;)
Gideon Fisher commented
This is exactly the thing that I wanted to know, and it looks like there are very few answers or updates from Woo.
I'm in the middle of updating my wordpress theme to an all bells and whistles type thing. And whilst I'm very excited to have a sleek new look, I'm also dreading hooking up my old Online Picture Proof portal.
O.P.P. have no styling options (apart from basic colours etc). So, when I do all that call to action work to get people excited about their pictures, they have to go outside of my site to a slightly crappier one. Not good for sales.
As soon as woo develop an interactive sales platform for wedding and portrait photographers, we will all snap their hands off! I'll pay you cash money!
This was promised for late Q2 this year. We are already well into Q3 and still no status or info from Woo...
Any new info about this?
That's a big disappointment... I was holding my breath!!
I got a reply from Woo Twitter saying they are not developing this but a 3rd party dev and they don't know when it will be ready. I wouldn't hold your breath on this coming out soon. I'm tempted to develop this myself. It's quite a big project though.
Any update on this…?
I would like to add that most e-commerce solutions are designed to display one image size only and it is really important for photographers and artists to have the option to be able to display landscape, portrait and square image formats in their shops.
This exactly what I'm looking for in Woocommerce. The sort of extension would be ideal for photography websites I'm developing for clients! I hope this is an extension that will arrive soon.
Good start but what is missing? An API for the delivery part, because I need to be sure that the result is 100% like I expect. There should be an connection to proceed with the order after the payment. Print the images at my own or send them to my favorite lab or ...
So this has started, any update on the planned release of this?
And I would love to beta test it.