How can we improve WooCommerce?

We NEED support for Pretty Permalinks

No user would dispute we need to solve the permalink issue. If you do not know, you MUST use the default permalink settings or your products will 404. User's like me also run a blog on their site and need custom permalinks for SEO and to make it easier on users to remember certain URLS (like "/blog")
Take a look here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/plugin-woocommerce-woocommerce-pretty-permalinks?replies=4#post-2596043

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Ampix0Ampix0 shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jay DoubleuJay Doubleu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sure this broken and glaring issue gets resolved with WooCommerce 2.2 cuz it's clearly busted.

• CFCF commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Magnus: I have spent many hours testing various permalink settings and none will create an SEO Silo structured URL architecture without 404 errors at the product page. It works up to the product page and then 404's. This is a Woocommerce deal breaker and needs to be fixed. Listen to your customers!

• PimPim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No it doesn't.

"/product-cat/product_subcat/product" doesn't work by default and there is currently no fix that I know of to make it work, either. It seems like a pretty damn essential feature to me, if you want to get anything serious done.

• Binay shresthaBinay shrestha commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sorry but this issue is not fixed i have this same problem with the latest version of woocommerce and wordpress. Even my shop page doesn't list any product when i try to use other structures for permalinks other and default. Please help !

• Jason ChafinJason Chafin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been trying to fix my 404 issue for two weeks! "View Cart"-> 404. I've turned off all my plugins, switched to the "default" 201x" theme, switched back to "ugly" permalinks, created a new "cart" page ..... 404! if pretty permalinks are supported, then why are so many people experiencing this issue? This has stopped my development dead, as I cannot continue until this issue is resolved. Yet, I've looked and looked and tried just about every suggestion I've found that "solved" other people's problems, yet my issue persists. And I have absolutely no idea where else to turn. Very extra super frustrating.

• RyanRyan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setup all this stuff verbatim. Still getting 404's on product pages, checkout, cart, etc.

• Sigmareef.comSigmareef.com commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The issue IS fixed, you just need to setup a few thing on your wordpress permalinks

On Custom Structure: /%category%/%postname%/ (or any you want)

On Optional fields (not optional any more since you are using a Custom Structure)
        Category base: category
        Tag Base: tag
        Product category base: product-category
        Product tag base: product-tag
        Product attribute base: product-attribute

Finally, on Custom Base, you need to add /store/%product_cat% or any structure you want, just make sure it starts with /store/

This are my settings and my website is working as expected.

Hope this help :)

• oifriendlyfireoifriendlyfire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi! Yeah, no.

WooCommerce may support pretty links, but it does not support the use of "category/sub-category/product" for breadcrumbs, and hierarchy permalinks.

This has to be fixed, there are other ecommerce themes that KNOW that this hierarchy is a must for ANY successful inventory management system.

also,

WooCommerce - Settings > Pages Tab > Permalinks > Product base page > Prepend product permalinks with product category *TICKED*

This little tidbit of information is useless to me as I have no pages tab in my WooCommerce settings...

Any ideas, anyone? I can't believe this bug was reported in the beginning of 2012, and has not been resolved yet. The one fix that used to work was broken in the new update...It's like someone at the top said, nope, dont want people having easy inventory management systems with WooCommerce.

• GeeGee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The problem still exists.
        We still need support.
        Woocommerce - the WordPress eCommerce Toolkit still breaks the pretty permalink structure and results in 404.
        Woocommerce 2.0.20 Wordpress 3.8

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WooCommerce 2.0.20 | WP 3.8 Pretty Permalinks does not work properly.

Common Settings = Selected option 'Post Name'
        Optional -> Product category base = '/shop'
        Product permalink base = Selected option 'Shop base with category' (for that matter I tried them all)

http://localhost/shop/legacy-line/ - Works
        http://localhost/shop/shore-line/backpack/ - Works
        http://localhost/cart - 404 (or any normal page)

If I mess with a bunch of different combinations I can get some pages working but not others. For example if I get the cart page working then for some reason the product detail pages become 404's.

Something is wrong. This really sucks. And doing a google search shows that many many people have this issue but there is no solution other than to go back to the default settings - which as we all know defeats the purpose of having good SEO.

• RonRon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When turning on "Force secure checkout” in woo commerce, my account page, edit my address, view order, change password, lost password does not work. I get a 404 error. I am using 'The Retailer - Retina Responsive WooCommerce Theme' but have seen posts on the web that other people are having the same problem.

• Thomas MourãoThomas Mourão commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My permalinks suddently stopped working, showing 404 errors in the cart/checkout/my account pages. It only works in default ugly permalinks.
        About that workaround "Woocommerce - Settings > Pages Tab > Permalinks [...]" my woocommerce settings page doesn't have that checkbox, it only let me assign pages.
        We need a solution!

• Doris PelgerDoris Pelger commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it does not work.
        The setup is not stable.
        It cuts off the url - if you sett it up to show:
        kids-store/girl-clothes/dresses/red-striped-cotton-dress
        the url changes to : dresses/red-striped-cotton-dress when viewing the product. It simply looses the kids-store and main category
        Really bad !!!

• NicolasNicolas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have a definitive answer on this matter... it's been 3 days I'm searching for answer with no clear solutions... while this issue is not new, I am wondering what's the latest news on this.

The idea is that wordpress uses globaly declared name for post so it's not possible to have domain.com/topic1/news AND domain.com/topic2/news... as news is the post name, it will break a 404 because news is never a "child" of any "topic". So for many of us who wonder why Woocommerce gives 404 on most setup other than default then this is why.

what would work is domain.com/topic1/news AND domain.com/topic2/news-2 (or other unique slug)

Now the real annoying thing is in the logic of a shop based Wordpress installation. I believe URL design is important for the end user experience. While I understand the limitation described above, how would one achieve the following results.

domain.com/category/product without breaking 404.

Now, the only way I have found to setup woocommerce without having the dooming 404 is this way.

domain.com/category/some-category
        domain.com/product/some-product

while I understand this is suitable I think it's a pain for the end user.

because the link to the product will NEVER reflect it's belonging category with the actual logic of Wordpress pretty link routing.

So reading that WooCommerce FULLY supports permalinks is an overstatement... it does support it the way Wordpress is setup but it surely does not support the shop > category > sub-category > product structure that makes more sense to the end user, and for me that is a big concern that I can't seem to find any new development on.

Now what is the solution, if any, to implement the desired structure decribed above.

I would love to get some meat around that bone :)

• April SadowskiApril Sadowski commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I for one am NOT having any issues. In my Pages tab I ONLY have "prepend product permalinks with product category" checked (last checkbox) and then in Settings > Permalinks I have Post name checked.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base